LAST TRAIN OUT

 A restlessness has found its way into my body. Seeped the pores and enveloped itself around my once sleepish mind. I wouldn't say it's a negative, yet I find myself changing so completely at a moment's glance. I felt a wave of melancholia wash over me the other day. I couldn't figure out whether it was a dormant grief or a sorrow that was even my own. Haven't slept since...not like I used to. I cannot tell you what I'm becoming. I am still searching for its familiarity myself. I found a semblance of solace in a vision I keep having. A vision that happens upon me with no clear conclusion. Maybe you could help me put the pieces together in a way that I simply cannot. Panting, the kind one could only sense when running out of time. The town is empty and instills a subtle sense of déjà vu that prompts a second glance. The kind of town that is familiar, as it is innocuous in the grand scheme of one's relevant memories. My chest thrusts itself upon the doors with a fervent desperation. I recollect myself once I see I'm inside. My chest tightens a bit less.

How odd, what is it that's creating such anxiety? I seem to be the only one here. My knees meet the ground before my eyes do. Trembling, I shudder back to posture and proceed. I am reduced to a shuffle of quickened steps and widened eyes down the hall. Not a single soul but my own. I arrive to find the train waiting, empty, seeking. The train was awaiting my arrival. The closer I approach, the clearer a ringing bell becomes. A dainty chord of notes beckoning me. Delicate like that which you would find serenading a newborn child. A figure also becomes apparent. A man of stout stature with a ghost of a smile grazing his lips. Appearing in clothes for a forlorn decade, his tipped hat hides a humanizing vulnerability I was curious to see. My eyes could not meet his, yet we knew we'd seen one another. I set my foot, just above the gap, and paused a moment longer to witness this conspicuous figure. To no avail, it seemed to be a secret this train intended to keep. I reclined in my chair and forgot my destination as I tried to recall it. I searched myself for a ticket or some memento of what this trip may have been for. What was initially a gentle pat became a near bludgeoning of my own making. Hands gripping for certainty. Where the hell am I going? Why can't I remember? Am I even here? I steadied my breathing once the train initiated the journey. I may find my memory along the way. Just breathe. You're the only passenger, it seems. Give your mind some solace in this peace, at the very least. 

Comments

Most Loved Letters